Banyule Youth Services

Your Rights & Legal Information

Sexual Assault Support

Assistance for sexual assault & rape

Sexual Assault Crisis Line

Sexual Assault Crisis Line
Crisis counselling, information, crisis support and referral.
Phone: 1800 806 292 (Crisis line, after hours and weekends)
Police/emergency personnel, victim/survivor of recent sexual assault contact line.
Phone: 03 8345 3494 



1800RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service. They provide a confidential service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 1800RESPECT provide support for:

  • People (of any gender identity) experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, sexual assault, domestic or family violence
  • Their friends and family
  • Workers and professionals supporting someone experiencing, or at risk of experiencing sexual assault, domestic or family violence

Phone: 1800 737 732


Northern Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA)

Northern Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA)
Northern CASA is the regional sexual assault service for the northern metropolitan region of Melbourne covering the local government areas of Banyule, Darebin, Nillumbik and Whittlesea. Provides free therapeutic services to women, men and young people over the age of 12 who have experienced sexual assault (both past and recent) and their non-offending family and friends.
Address: Building 26, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, 300 Waterdale Road
Heidelberg West, 3081
Phone: 9496 2240


Centre Against Sexual Assault (24 hours)
The peak body for the 15 Centres Against Sexual Assault in Victoria and the Victorian Sexual Assault Crisis Line. Use this map to find your nearest centre, or call their toll-free number to be connected with your nearest centre or for after-hours support.
Phone: 1800 806 292

kids first

Kids First Australia

Kids First is a purpose driven organisation with a vision to see all children and young people thrive in resilient, strong and safe families and communities. They have a range of counselling services for children and young people, social support and free community based programs for families and young people. They have specialist therapeutic counselling programs for children and young people who have experienced sexual abuse. Kids First works with:

  • Children and young people under 18 years of age who have been sexually abused;
  • Children under the age of 10 who have displayed problematic sexualised behaviours;
  • Young people between 10 and 17 who have engaged in sexually abusive behaviours.

Phone: 9450 0900
Heidelberg Child & Family Centre
70 Altona Street, Heidelberg West 3081
Opening hours: Monday – Friday, 9am to 5pm


Victims of Crime Helpline (victim support helpline)

Victim Assistance Program
Practical assistance and support for victims of violent crimes that can also include access to specialised trauma counselling.
Phone: 1300 362 739

Victims of Crime Helpline (victim support helpline)
A support service for people who have been victim to a crime.
Phone: 1800 819 817 
Text: 0427 767 891


Aboriginal Family Violence: Prevention & Legal Service

Aboriginal Family Violence: Prevention & Legal Service
The service provides assistance to Indigenous Australians who have been victim to family violence and sexual assault.
Phone: 1800 105 303


Women’s Health in the North: 9484 1666

brave hearts


The Bravehearts information and support line can be accessed by anyone wanting information or support relating to child sexual assault. Available 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Phone: 1800 272 831



Women’s Health Victoria

Provides face-to-face, phone and web-based support services for women in Victoria.
Phone: (03) 9664 9300


Helpful apps & websites

reach out

Finding support after you’ve been sexually assaulted can feel confusing and overwhelming. Reachout have put together this guide to help you understand what sexual assault is, and what sort of help is available if you’ve been sexually assaulted.


hello cass

Hello Cass
Hello Cass is an SMS chatbot providing discreet access to localised, accurate information and support for people experiencing or affected by family and sexual violence. Start chatting with Cass by simply texting ‘hello’ to the Hello Cass mobile number – 0417 398 744.

Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Services

Banyule Statement of Commitment to Indigenous Australians

Banyule City Council is proud to acknowledge the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung people as traditional custodians of the land and we pay respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Elders, past, present and emerging, who have resided in the area and have been an integral part of the region’s history.

In 2009 Banyule Council adopted the Banyule Statement of Commitment to Indigenous Australians. This statement was developed in partnership with Wurundjeri Elders and marked the start of Council’s commitment to working alongside the Traditional Custodial Owners of the land on which we live, work, meet and play, to advance the aspirations of our local Aboriginal communities.

You can find more information regarding Banyule’s commitment to Indigenous Australians here.


Banyule Community Health Centre – Aboriginal Health Team                                                            
The Aboriginal Health team delivers services and assist in running programs and groups for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander community members, at our centres and at the Babarrbunin Beek Gathering Place. Their services can include:

  • Casework (supporting you to manage various services you may need) in a respectful and culturally appropriate way.
  • Referrals into specialist health and welfare services
  • Information and advice about chronic health services
  • Child protection advocacy and legal support
  • Counselling
  • Men’s support worker

21 Alamein Road, West Heidelberg                                                                 
Ph: 9450 2015                                                         




[Thirteen YARN] is the first national crisis support line for mob who are feeling overwhelmed or having difficulty coping. 13YARN offer a confidential one-on-one yarning opportunity with a Lifeline-trained Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Crisis Supporter who can provide crisis support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 13YARN empowers our community with the opportunity to yarn without judgement and provide a culturally safe space to speak about their needs, worries or concerns.

If you, or someone you know, are feeling worried or no good, we encourage you to connect with 13YARN on 13 92 76 (24 hours/7 days) and talk with an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Crisis Supporter.



Barrbunin Beek Gathering place
Barrbunin Beek means ‘happy place’ in the Woiwurrung language. A dedicated space where local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community can come together and create a real connection to country and community. To see what is currently happening please follow the facebook page.

Olympic Park (The Fred Howe Annex)
Catalina st, West Heidelberg




Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS)            
The VAHS provides a variety of medical services including dental, maternal health, child health and audiology. VAHS also provides community programs including various counselling options, Koori Kids program and social emotional wellbeing programs.

Yarning SafeNStrong helpline

Yarning SafeNStrong is a dedicated free and confidential counselling service for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Peoples run by the Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS). You can call Yarning SafeNStrong if you are feeling like you want to talk to someone because you are feeling down or you just feel like having a yarn. VAHS have counsellors you can yarn safely with and who can also support you to access extra help with financial wellbeing, counselling, drug & alcohol counselling & rehab services and medical help including COVID19 testing. 

Phone: 1800 95 95 63 from 12pm to 10pm 7 days a week

VAHS Preston
238-250 Plenty Rd, Preston                                   
Ph: 9403 3300                                                                                                                                                            



Indigenous Employment Partners (IEP)
IEP proudly work to address the high level of poverty and hardship that exists for the Indigenous Australians. They build capacity aimed at fostering inclusive workplaces and increasing employment and training opportunities for Indigenous job seekers. Employers are given a fully supported end to end recruitment service package which is designed to support both the employer and their Indigenous employee. The Indigenous employee is also given fantastic training and tools before the placement starts and has support for 26 weeks after their start date.

Gate 1B Ikon Park Stadium, Princes Park, 400 Royal pde Carlton North
Ph: 0400 587 348

Jobseekers can send their application and resume to:


AFL Sports ready

AFL SportsReady Education & Employment
AFL SportsReady is a National not-for-profit company dedicated to helping young Australians develop careers through traineeships and educational opportunities. Their dedicated Indigenous programs can provide traineeships, direct employment, cadetships and cultural awareness training. These services are offered to young people both of school age and those studying university.

L3, Bob Rose Stand, Corner Lulie & Abbot st Abbotsford
Ph: 8413 3500



Matchworks Indigenous employment programs
MatchWorks is committed to helping build a better future for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander job seekers. The dedicated staff focus on community engagement, skill development programs and real employment outcomes with employers who embrace diversity in their business.

They can assist you with: 

  • Pre-employment training and support (tailored to your needs)
  • Mentoring and goal setting (one-on-one or group programs)
  • Access to health and wellbeing services to assist you pre and post-employment
  • Links to training opportunities and community services such as housing support
  • Links with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community groups and Co-operatives
  • Post-placement support for both you and your employer so employment is ongoing

Matchworks also provide the Deadly Yakka Employment program which runs over 2 weeks to support your personal skills and confidence about entering the work force. All programs include cultural activities such as a Smoking Ceremony and Indigenous art day.

Ph: 1300 13 23 63



VACCA Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency                                                                                 
VACCA is the lead Aboriginal child and family welfare organisation in Victoria, protecting and promoting the rights of Aboriginal children and young people. We provide programs and services to reinforce Aboriginal culture and encourage best parenting practices and advise government in relation to child abuse and neglect in the Aboriginal community. VACCA’s services include: children & families, youth services and programs, cultural strengthening programs, community support, family violence, justice support & external training.

340 Bell Street Preston 3072                                                             
Ph: 9287 8800                                         



VACSAL Victorian Community Services Association Ltd
VACSAL are a state-wide agency that provides advice to government on a range of community development issues as well providing a range of community services such as cultural awareness training, homeless outreach and youth services through the Bert Williams Centre. The Bert Williams Aboriginal Youth Services comprises of 3 streams of operations: Aboriginal Youth Hostel Crisis/Homelessness Short term accommodation, Koorie Youth Justice Program, Early School Leavers Program.

496 High St Northcote 3070
Ph: 9416 4266
Bert Williams Aboriginal Youth Services
21 Normanby ave Thornbury 3071
Ph: 9416 9219



Djirra are an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation governed by an Aboriginal Board of Directors who are elected by their members. They are a community agency who celebrate and share culture and offer practical support to Aboriginal women, in particular those who are currently experiencing family violence or have in the past. Their services include: prevention of family violence, cultural & wellbeing workshops, Koorie Women’s Place, legal support, general support such as counselling, support workers, safety planning, financial assistance and referrals & advocacy.

292 Hoddle street Abbotsford 3067
Legal services team:
Ph: 9244 3333
Ph: 1800 105 303


Dardi Munwurro

Dardi Munwurro
Dardi Munwurro delivers a range of family violence, healing and behaviour change programs and services to break the cycle of intergenerational trauma in Aboriginal families and communities, by empowering and inspiring individuals to heal the past, acknowledge the present and create a positive vision for the future. Dardi Munwurro’s youth programs include mentoring, group work, positive role modelling, early intervention diversion programs and one on one support.

558 High st Preston
Ph: 8456 3044
Ph: 1800 435 799



Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service VALS
VALS plays an important role in providing referrals, advice/information, duty work or case work assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the State of Victoria. Solicitors at VALS specialise in one of three areas of law, being Criminal Law, Family Law and Civil Law. VALS provides free legal advice and representation for the Koorie community.

Melbourne Office
Ph: 9418 5999
Ph: 1800 064 865


Deadly Story

Deadly Story
Deadly Story is a cultural information website being developed to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people in the Victorian out-of-home care system to connect with their Country, their Communities, and their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and identity.



3KND Radio Melbourne
3KND is Melbourne’s first and only Indigenous owned and managed radio station. Tune in 24 hours a day for latest music, information and stories. 3KND also provide opportunities for specialist training in radio and media broadcasting to the Indigenous community. The media services available at 3KND Radio are broad including; both AM and digital services, online streaming, multimedia media training, studio and recording hire, music production and of course advertising.  

Digital and 1503AM
25 Copernicus cres Bundoora 3083
Ph: 9471 1305



Koorie Youth Council (KYC)
The Koorie Youth Council is the representative body for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people in Victoria. Led by an Executive of 15 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people and our state-wide members, KYC values the diversity and strength of young people as decision-makers. KYC advocates to government and community to advance the rights and representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people. By hosting events like the annual Koorie Youth Summit, KYC brings Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people together to amplify their voices for social change. 

For more information about how to get involved contact  

Housing Information & Resources

It’s a common misconception that homelessness is associated only with sleeping on the street. This isn’t the case. In fact, there are 3 levels of homelessness that people experience every day:

  • Primary – sleeping rough on the street or having to sleep in a car.
  • Secondary – staying at a friend’s house, moving frequently between refuges or couch surfing.
  • Tertiary – unstable accommodation, such as rooming houses or caravan parks.

There are many circumstances that are out of a young person’s control, leaving them without a safe space to call their own.

If you are experiencing housing uncertainty you will need to contact an Access Point.

At the Access Point, you will meet with an Initial Assessment and Planning (IAP) worker who will do an assessment of your housing and support needs.

After this assessment, the IAP worker will address your housing crisis. IAPs have access to the Housing Establishment Fund (HEF) money which can be used to pay for emergency accommodation and sometimes rent in arrears or advance.

If appropriate, the IAP may make a referral to one of the specialist homelessness support services. Or they may make a referral to a support service in another system such as health or mental health.

Crisis Assistance – for help if you have nowhere to stay

Access Points for young people in Banyule

Haven Logo

Haven; Home, Safe                                                                                                                          

Haven; Home, Safe is the access point for the northern and eastern suburbs of Melbourne to Mildura. They provide a range of housing services, support programs and referrals for people who are homeless or who are at risk of homelessness.

Preston Office: 52-56 Mary Street Preston, 3072
Phone: 9479 0700
Fax: 9470 4400



Frontyard (Melbourne Youth Support Service) 
Frontyard is an integrated service model that addresses the physical, emotional and social needs of people aged 12 to 24.  Located in Melbourne’s CBD, Frontyard is a central space for young people to feel safe.  Here, young people can find emergency accommodation, get quality case management from staff and access a range of co-located and visiting services.  This is a drop-in centre where no referrals are necessary.  They offer telephone based or face-to-face information and assessment for referral to specialist youth homelessness/housing support services.

Frontyard (MYSS):19 Kings Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Open Monday to Friday from 9:00am – 8:00pm and Saturday and Sunday from 10:00am – 6:00pm.
Phone: 9977 0078 (MYSS)
Phone: 9977 0077 (Frontyard)
Take a 360° virtual tour of Frontyard here: 


Housing Vic

Statewide After Hours Service

  • Phone: 1800 825 955 (free call) or (03) 9536 7777
  • Hours: 5 pm to 9 am, Monday to Friday and 24 hours on weekends and public holiday

    Help if you are homeless or at risk of homelessness or family violence.



Reconnect supports young people who’s housing is unstable and are at risk of becoming homeless or who are homeless.  The Youth team assists young people to stabilise their living situation and improve their level of engagement with family, work, education, training and their local community. Contact the Reconnect youth team at healthAbility on 9430 9100 for further information.

Ph: 9430 9100


Justice Connect Homeless Law

Justice Connect Homeless Law
Homeless Law is a project of Justice Connect. Through Homeless Law, people who are experiencing or are at risk of homelessness can access specialised free legal services.

Phone: 1800 606 313 (Free Call)


Berry Street

Berry Street Transitional Youth Support Services (TYSS)
Berry Street offer a range of services for young people including Homeless Intervention & Prevention (HIP) which in a response to young people aged 16-25 who are at risk of homelessness due to family breakdown. Young people can be referred to HIP by their school, a support worker or agency. Alternatively, young people can contact Berry Street directly.

Phone: 9450 4700 (Eaglemont office)   


Housing financial assistance

Ask Izzy

Ask Izzy
Ask Izzy is a website that helps people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless to find the services they need, right now and nearby.



Creating Connections Education Employment Pathways (CEEP)
Creating Connections Education Employment Pathways (CEEP) can provide brokerage funds to help young people who are experiencing homelessness, sustain their education/employment/training pathways. Generalist support workers who are providing ongoing support to young people are now able to apply to access CEEP funds. Brokerage of up to $1,200.00 per year is available for school fees, computers, books and uniforms & travel (MYKI).  Information on how to apply for CEEP funds can be accessed at: or call 9534 3685


Family Reconciliation and Mediation Program (FRMP)                                                                     
The Family Reconciliation and Mediation Program (FRMP) assist young people to improve their relationships with family and significant others through the Family Reconciliation Mediation Program (FRMP).  This state-wide service allows young people to explore options for family reconciliation, develop coping mechanisms and reconnect to culture and community.

FRMP provides funding allocation to a range of supports including; individual counselling, family mediation & therapies and respite brokerage.
Phone: 9977 0046



Housing Emergency Funds (HEF)
Funding for emergency accommodation and/or assistance to prevent accommodation being lost. HEF is able to provide rent, bond or board payment and is available through Haven; Home, Safe.

Haven; Home, Safe
Preston Office: 
52-56 Mary Street, Preston, 3072
Phone: 9479 0700


Private Rental Brokerage Program (PRBP)
The Private Rental Brokerage Program – Northern (PRBP) aims to improve access to affordable housing options for people currently living in the Northern region of Melbourne who would otherwise make use of rooming house accommodation. This program can provide advice on accessing/maintaining a private rental, advocacy on behalf of clients, and some limited brokerage to go towards rent and/or Bond. To find out if you’re eligible, contact your closest Initial Assessment and Planning office.

Haven; Home, Safe
Preston Office: 
52-56 Mary Street, Preston, 3072
Phone: 9479 0700


Bond Loan Scheme                                               
If you want to rent privately in Victoria and need assistance with the bond, you may be able to borrow the money for an interest-free bond loan.

If you want to rent privately, most landlords will ask you to pay a bond before you move in. A bond is a security deposit in case you damage the property. The bond money is held by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority. It is returned in full at the end of your lease, unless the landlord is eligible to claim for damages or unpaid rent.

The loans are for bonds only. If you need help with moving costs or for rent in advance, you may be eligible for help from the Housing Establishment Fund, see Financial help for private renters.  Application forms are available from Office of Housing website:

Sexual Health

Sexual Health and Family Planning

Banyule Community Health Service
BCHS offers bulk bill services regarding STI’s, sex and contraception at two locations. The service is staffed by community heath nurses who can provide young people with information regarding family support, financial help and dental as well as being able to offer referrals to other services.  
Phone: 9450 2000 (Heidelberg)
Phone: 9433 5111 (Greensborough)


Family Planning Victoria (FPV) for young people
FPV focusses on health care, education and advocacy. They are a dedicated service that supports young people in making decisions about their sexual health and wellbeing that’s right for them.
Phone: 1800 013 952

The Action Centre – Family Planning Clinics
Great places for young people to go to find out and get assistance with contraception, sexuality and same sex attraction, unplanned pregnancy, STI testing, safer sex, sexual abuse and other sexual health issues. Services are free for those under 18

Family Planning Victoria Action Centre for Young People (under 25)
Level 1, 94 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne (near Flinders St Station)
Clinic hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Appointments: Call 03 9660 4700 or 03 9257 0100 or book online here.
Free Call: 1800 013 952

Family Planning Victoria Clinic Box Hill (all ages)
901 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill 
Appointments: Call 03 9257 010 or book online here.
Free call: 1800 013 952


1800 My Options sexual health and contraceptive helpline

Do you have questions or need support around contraception, pregnancy and sexual health? 1800 My Options is a free, confidential, pro-choice, non-judgemental hotline that is here to help.

Phone: 1800 696 784

1800 my options

ReachOut offer extensive and relevant information and online support about sex, intimate relationships and all those awkward things that it can be hard to talk about sometimes. The site allows users to go on and read up on stacks of info, without having to speak to anyone personally.

reach out

Youth Central
Information about sex, sexual health, sexuality, sexual assault and everything in between

youth central

Respectful Relationships

It is important that we feel safe and respected in our relationships.  Sometimes it can be confusing trying to work out what is okay – check out the links below for some more information and tips

What does the term “respectful relationships” mean?
Is your relationship moving too fast?
Feeling pressured to send photos of yourself?
What is and is not okay in your relationship?
Your relationship is not okay – what now?
I am worried about my friend’s relationship

If you are in a relationship that you do not feel respected in, or you want to ask some questions about what is or is not okay, please feel free to call us on 9457 9855 or email us at

1800RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service. They provide a confidential service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 1800RESPECT provide support for:

  • People (of any gender identity) experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, sexual assault, domestic or family violence
  • Their friends and family
  • Workers and professionals supporting someone experiencing, or at risk of experiencing sexual assault, domestic or family violence

Phone: 1800 737 732


The Orange Door in North Eastern Melbourne
The Orange Door is a free service for adults, children and young people who are experiencing or have experienced family violence and families who need extra support with the care of children. 

Phone: 1800 319 355
Address: 56 Burgundy Street, Heidelberg 3084 
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (closed public holidays)

orange door

Berry Street
Berry Street is a welfare organisation that supports young people and their families. They provide individual resources for crisis and violence situations in the Northern Suburbs as well as help to foster stronger relationships for your family.
Phone: 03 9450 4700

Berry street

Domestic Violence Resource Centre
Provides initial telephone support, information and referral services to assist people who have experienced family violence.
Phone: 03 8346 5200 Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 5.00pm


Love, Advice and Stories
A website put together by The Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria for young people that explores all things relationships.
Phone: 9486 9866

love bad ugly

What’s OK At Home (WOAH)
A website made by the Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria to help people understand what family vilence is, why it happens, how to recognise it and how to help others who are experiencing it.


The Line
This is a website for both girls and guys which helps you work out what is ok in a relationship and what might be crossing ‘the line’

the line

Tell Someone
‘Tell Someone’ is a website aimed at educating people with a mild intellectual disability about family violence.

tell someone
Alcohol & Other Drugs

Direct Line
24/7 confidential counselling, information and referral service for anyone in Victoria affected by an alcohol or drug problem.
Ph: 1800 888 236

DirectLine Logo

Counselling Online
Counselling Online is a service where you can communicate with a professional counsellor about an alcohol or drug related concern, using text-interaction. Counselling online is free, confidential and available 24 hours 1800 888 236 (Direct Line)                                                                                    


Banyule Drug & Alcohol Service
Banyule Community Health provides drug & alcohol counselling, referral to a range of drug & alcohol withdrawal and rehabilitation programs and services. Services include specialist housing programs, harm-minimisation advice as well as support groups for family and friends. Banyule Community Health have youth specific drug & alcohol works available.
Banyule Community Health Centres:
West Heidelberg: 21 Alamein Road, West Heidelberg 3081
Ph: 9450 2000
Greensborough: 3/25-33 Grimshaw Street, Greensborough, 3088
Ph: 9433 5111




Victorian Government Drug Information Site
This site contains useful information about drugs for a range of people, including drug users, families, friends or anyone who is affected by drugs or wants to learn more about the harmful effects of drugs. Drug treatment options, training and events are also listed.


Drink Wise
DrinkWise Australia is an independent, not-for-profit organisation. Their primary focus is to help bring about a healthier and safer drinking culture in Australia. DrinkWise provides a range of information for young people and parents about alcohol and health.

drink wise

A service provided by the Australian Drug Foundation that offers information about alcohol and other drugs and the prevention of related harms.
Phone: 1300 858 584

drug info

Save a Mate (Red Cross Program)
Youth friendly website that provides you with the information that you need about alcohol and other drugs and positive mental health in a very creative way.


Drug and Alcohol Clinical Advisory Service (DACAS)
A free telephone consultancy service for health and welfare professionals.
Phone: 1800 812 804


Cannabis Information and Support
Provides information regarding cannabis use to the community, cannabis users and their families. Has mobile app that connects users trying to quit or cut down cannabis use, and provides support.

cannabis support

Family Drug Helpline
Support and information for parents, family members and significant others of someone with problematic alcohol or other drug use. Sibling support is offered for teenagers in an online setting. Anyone can access the website and instantly chat to a counsellor.
Phone: 1300 660 068


Turning Point
Promotion and maximisation of health and wellbeing of individuals and communities living with and affected by alcohol and other drug-related harms.
Main office:
110 Church Street,
Richmond, 3121 VIC
Phone: 03 8413 8413

turning point

Reach Out!
A service that helps young people to get through tough times, it provides information and support on a range of youth issues.


Service Directory for Drug and Alcohol Users
Provides comprehensive information for drug and alcohol users, as well as a directory of service providers in Victoria.
Provides links to Fitzroy Legal Service, Law Handbook Online.


Direct Line
24/7 confidential counselling, information and referral service for anyone in Victoria affected by an alcohol or drug problem.
Phone: 1800 888 236

Direct line

Counselling Online
Counselling Online is a service where you can communicate with a professional counsellor about an alcohol or drug related concern, using text-interaction. Counselling online is free, confidential and available 24 hours
Phone: 1800 888 236 (Direct Line)                                                                                    

Counselling Online

Youth Projects YNOT
Youth Northern Outreach Team provide outreach drug and alcohol treatment for 12-21 year olds.
Phone: 9304 9100

youth projects

Youth Support & Advocacy Service (YSAS)
YSAS is a state wide service for vulnerable young people aged 10-25. YSAS offers front line services, support and advocacy to improve the health and well-being of high needs youth with, or at risk of, AOD misuse. YSAS provides a range of youth-specific outreach, treatment, withdrawal, rehabilitation and support programs in a number of locations in Melbourne.
YSASline: 1800 458 685 Free Call 24hrs


Queer Youth Withdrawal Program (YSAS)
A one of a kind, free service for persons who identify as being GLBTQI and are dealing with substance abuse issues.
Phone: 1800 005 501 (freecall)                                                                        


Banyule Drug & Alcohol Service
Banyule Community Health provides drug & alcohol counselling, referral to a range of drug & alcohol withdrawal and rehabilitation programs and services. Services include specialist housing programs, harm-minimisation advice as well as support groups for family and friends. Banyule Community Health have youth specific drug & alcohol works available.
Banyule Community Health Centres:
West Heidelberg
21 Alamein Road, West Heidelberg 3081
Phone: 9450 2000
3/25-33 Grimshaw Street, Greensborough, 3088
Phone: 9433 5111


Buoyancy Foundation
Buoyancy is a specialist drug and alcohol counselling, consultancy and continuing care service that also provides therapeutic activities, personal and telephone counselling, support & information for anyone involved with illicit drug use.
Phone: 9429 3322
TTY (Phone for hearing impaired): 9421 8986

Uniting Care ReGen 
Uniting Care ReGen is an Alcohol and Other Drugs Treatment and Education Agency. Services offered include counselling, support and education programs, assessment, home-based & residential withdrawal, supported accommodation, drug diversion and youth & family services.
Phone: 1800 700 514 Free Call – Mon-Fri 9am-5pm


Quitline is a highly effective telephone and online coaching service that work to provide support and guidance for people working towards stopping their addiction to tobacco.
Phone: 13 78 48 or ask for a callback



If you need help or have alcohol or drug related questions, you can call these numbers:

YSAS: 1800 458 685

Directline: 1800 888 236

DrugInfo: 1300 858 584

Family Drug helpline: 1300 660 068

Assistance for Parents & Families

Parentline is a confidential and anonymous phone counselling service for parents and carers of children and teenagers in Victoria. They offer counselling, information and support around a range of parenting issues. Parentline is open between 8am and midnight 7 days a week.
Phone: 13 22 89

Parent line

Relationships Australia
Relationships Australia is a provider of specialist family and relationship services.  They offer a range of counselling services which are available on-line and over the phone.

Relationships Australia

Family Matters at Berry Street
Family Matters is a free Family counselling program. They work with a range of family issues, most particularly the challenges which parenting an adolescent brings. Check out this video that gives an overview of the Family Matters program offered by Berry Street:

Phone: 9450 4700

Berry Street

The ParentZone team provide free support and advice to parents and carers.  Every year, ParentZone works with thousands of parents, carers and professionals to provide parents and carers with access to the resources and support they need to parent effectively.  Often parents report that they come to ParentZone group work programs to learn new strategies so they can stop yelling at their kids or losing their temper.  ParentZone is available to: Parents, Carers, Grandparents of children 0-18 years and Professionals working with children and families.

A quarterly newsletter containing information about groups and events, family supports and professional development. To access newsletters visit:
Phone: 0458 550 071

Parent Zone

Raising Children Network provides ad-free parenting videos, articles and apps backed by Australian experts.

Raising Children Network

“Reach Out” Parents Discussion Forum
A Parents peer-support community where you can share stories and connect with others about how they are feeling, exchange wellbeing and self-care tips and support those struggling with their mental health.


Parents, Carers and Families – Other Information

Family Drug helpline
Phone: 1300 660 068

Family Drug Helpline

Financial assistance for back to school expenses:
If your family is eligible, you can receive financial assistance to help meet the costs of your child’s education. For information on assistance that the Victorian government provides please follow the link:


Diamond Valley Community Support 
DVCS is an independent not-for-profit organisation that provides direct aid, assistance, support. DVCS may be able to assist residents of Banyule who have a health care card. Contact for further details.
Address: Shop 378a, Level 3, Greensborough Plaza
Phone: 9435 8282


Parenting Strategies
This is a resource to help parents more confidently manage the issue of alcohol with their adolescents as well as depression and anxiety.


Parenting Strategies

Sibling Support Program
Support for those who have a sibling with drug and/or alcohol issues.

Sibling Support Program

Parents and Family – Services and Programs

The Bouverie Centre
Provides specialist family sensitive and family therapy services.
Address: 8 Gardiner Street, Brunswick 3056
Phone: 03 9385 5100

The Bouverie Centre

Kids First
A family support program providing a range of services to children, young people and their families.
Phone: 9450 0900

Kids First

StrongBonds, is a website with resources for parents and carers of young people, and for workers who are supporting young people in a family context.
Help sheets are available in English, Arabic and Vietnamese on topics ranging from the role of child protection services and the justice system to dealing with health and wellbeing issues.
Fact sheets are available at


Merri Community Health Services Young Carers Program
Merri Community Health provide a Young Carers Program Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre / CarerLinks North. Regular programs are run throughout the year for young people who caring for a parent or relative for various reasons.
Phone: 9495 2500                                                                                     

Merri Community Health Services

Anglicare Victoria Youth Services
Provides counselling, advocacy, advice, after-hours crisis support, case management, drug and alcohol counselling and family support & liaison
Ph: 03 8470 9999

Anglicare Victoria Youth Services

Family Violence

For more information and support options relating to family violence, please visit:

Northern Family & Domestic Violence Service (NFDVS): 03 9450 4700
Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre: 1800 015 188 
Centres Against Sexual Assault: 1800 806 292 (24 hours) 

COVID-19 Information for Young People


a Caucasian feminine person with long brunette hair wearing a blue surgical face mask spraying hand sanitiser on her hands.

Getting clear and accurate information about COVID-19 & vaccines can be difficult, so we have created this page with links to valuable resources to assist young people as well as parents & families. This page will be updated regularly to ensure you have access to up-to-date information. If you cannot find the information you seek, or require additional support, contact the Victorian State Government 24/7 Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398


While most people will only have mild symptoms, anybody can become very sick with COVID-19 and spread it to others.

The symptoms to watch out for are:

  • fever

  • chills or sweats

  • cough

  • sore throat

  • shortness of breath

  • runny nose

  • loss or change in sense of smell or taste.

Some people may also experience headache, muscle soreness, stuffy nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

If you have any of these symptoms, however mild, you should seek advice and get tested. 

Find out places to get tested HERE. Once you have been tested, you will need to isolate until you get a negative result.

If you have severe symptoms, such as breathing difficulty, chest pains, or blueness around the mouth, call 000 for urgent help.


Getting Tested

If you have any of the symptoms of COVID-19, however mild, you should seek advice and get tested.

People with no symptoms can also be tested for COVID-19 in specific circumstances:

  • if they are a close contact exposed to someone known to have COVID-19

  • as part of an outbreak investigation and response by the Department of Health

  • if they are a returned international traveller

  • If they have visited a high risk interstate location

  • if they are due to have surgery or a planned hospital stay

Important Update: Rapid antigen tests

According to the latest advice from the Victorian State Government, everyone’s first option should be to use a rapid antigen test.

They are quick and highly accurate, particularly if you have symptoms or if you have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19.

  • If you have symptoms or you are a household or household-like contact, and you can’t access a rapid antigen test, you should get a PCR test.

  • If you can’t access either test at the moment, isolate at home until you can.

If you test positive on a rapid antigen test, you are a case and you must follow your checklist and report your result. Read Reporting your result for more information.


Where to get tested:                  

Translated information:                       

Information for people with disability – coronavirus (COVID-19) –            


I’ve tested Positive: what do I do know?

If you test positive, the Department of Health will contact you regarding your next steps. 

If you have tested positive, you will likely be isolating at home for a period of time. If you will be missing work or require financial assistance, find more information HERE.

Additionally, being unwell (or even just experiencing a global pandemic) can impact your mental health – you can find support information from the Department of Health website HERE. Alternatively, you can contact a Youth Worker at Banyule Youth Services by visiting our Contact Us page.


I’ve had COVID-19, what do I need to know?

It is important to only leave isolation once you have been cleared to do so by the Department of Health, and get vaccinated according to your personal health advice. The best place to find this information is by contacting the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398. You can also discuss vaccination options with your General Practitioner (GP).

getting tested

Vaccine Information

How do Vaccines work?

Vaccines, also known as immunisations, provide your immune system the ability to fight off preventable disease, and reduce the chances of spreading diseases. However, there are many different types of vaccinations for COVID-19, which all have their own technology and health advice. Find out the specifics of each vaccine available to you HERE through the Department of Health.

The Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) has a page dedicated to vaccine safety and side effects here.

Myths Vs Facts: where can I find trustworthy information?

Being able to identify what sources of information are trustworthy is crucial, especially when it comes to your health and well-being.

There are some guides help you determine what is genuine, and you can find them:

  • On the websites of the Youth Affairs Council of Victoria – a peak body in youth policy – on spotting COVID-19 misinformation HERE

  • National regulatory body the ACMA (the Australian Communications and Media Authority) also have a page on identifying misinformation more broadly, which you can find HERE.

If you still have questions about COVID-19 vaccines and you need credible sources to find information, you can find answers to frequently asked questions on the Department of Health’s website HERE

The incredible people at the Foundation for Young Australians who are behind the project YLab, have co-designed a COVID-19 Vaccination Toolkit which summarises a collection of reputable resources around the COVID-19 vaccine – find more information HERE

vaccine information

Booking your vaccination & booster

There are a number of places you can receive a vaccination based on where you are located:

  • You can book online at a state-run vaccination centre, or by calling the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398, 8am – 8pm 7 days, or

  • You can find a participating General Practitioner (GP) or Medical Centre via the Department of Health website

Showing your proof of vaccination

If you are going to visit a public place that may ask you for proof of vaccination, be prepared: you can download your proof of vaccination from Medicare via logging into myGov. If you don’t have a My Gov/Medicare log in, you may need to create your own or speak with your parent/carer. If you’re unsure how to find proof (online or offline), Medicare have a guide to support you here, or find more instructions via the Department of Health here.

proof of vax

Other Resources

Got a question about Jets safety that’s not about COVID-19? Check out the Jets Safety page HERE.

Need new activities to fill in time while you’re at home? Visit the Banyule Youth Portal for creative activities you can do from home.

If you’re connecting to Jets Studios’ weekly groups or simply just using Zoom for the first time, we have visual Zoom instructions to help you out.

If you are supporting a young person with COVID-19, you can find additional resources HERE.

other resources
Bullying & Cyber Safety

Information on bullying – practical assistance

Bullying. NO WAY!
This website has different information around bullying for children, young people and parents as well as includes resources for schools.


National Centre Against Bullying
The National Centre Against Bullying (NCAB) is a peak body working to advise and inform the Australian community on the issue of childhood bullying and the creation of safe schools and communities, including the issue of cybersafety. Partnered with the Alannah and Madeline Foundation, which has practical information for parents and children around how to deal with bullies as well as what to do if you witness someone else being bullied.


Tune in, Not Out
A website full of informative videos and messages around bullying. Tune in, Not Out brings together many other great websites to one place.


Bully Zero Australia Foundation
Aims to protect and empower Australian children and adolescents to live a fulfilling life free from all forms of bullying. This website has plenty of resources available for parents and students that includes some practical tips on how to handle and respond to bullying.
Ph: 03 9094 3718  

bully zero

Beyond Blue
Beyondblue is an independent, not-for-profit organisation working to increase awareness and understanding of anxiety and depression in Australia and to reduce the associated stigma.


Kids Matter
Kids Matter is an Australian Primary Schools Mental Health Initiative. An excellent resource for teachers and parents of primary school aged children.


Bully Stoppers
A Victorian Department of Education and Training site dedicated to information on bullying and cyber bullying.

Disability Services for Young People

Info for Young Carers


Commonwealth Respite and Carelink/ Carelink North Young Carers Program
Young carers are people up to 25 years of age who care in families where someone has an illness, a disability, a mental health issue or who has an alcohol or other drug problem.

Carers Australia runs the Young Carer Information, Advice, Support and Referral program and works closely with the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres.
Free call: 1800 052 222
Phone: 03 9495 2500

young carers

Carers Victoria
Carers Victoria work closely with government and other support organisations to improve the lives of caring families throughout Victoria.

carers vic

Advocacy and Information


AMAZE: Peak body for Autism.

Around 1 in every 100 Australians is autistic, and more than 85% of the community has a personal connection with autism. If you’re looking for someone who can relate to your experiences, chances are they’re in your neighbourhood.



VALID stands for Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with a Disability. VALID is committed to the vision of an Australian nation in which people with a disability are empowered to exercise their rights – as human beings and as citizens. VALID’s mission is to promote and protect the human rights of people with an intellectual disability and to champion their rights as citizens to: Community Presence, Choice, Respect, Community Participation and Self Determination.

VALID’s guide to National Disability Insurance Scheme therapist report:


Action on Disabilities within Ethnic Communities – ADEC
ADEC work towards empowering people with disabilities from ethnic backgrounds, their carers and families to fully participate amongst their local community. They have offices in Preston, Dandenong and Werribee.
Toll Free: 1800 626 078
Preston office: 175 Plenty Road, Preston 3072
Phone: 9480 7000


Disability Services at the Department of Health & Human Services
DHHS supports people living with a disability through a range of services including: Financial, community life, employment, accommodation, aid and equipment, advocacy and support for carers and families.


Victorian Disability Services Commissioner
The Disability Services Commissioner can respond to complaints about Victorian disability services, including disability services provided by the Department of Human Services.
Free call: 1800 677 342
Toll Free: 1300 728 187
TTY: 1300 726 563


Disability Discrimination Legal Service Inc
The Disability Discrimination Legal Service Inc (DDLS) is a state-wide independent community legal centre that specializes in disability discrimination legal matters. They provide free legal services in several areas.
Phone: 9654 8644
Toll Free: 1300 882 872
TTY: 9654 6817



Centrelink Disability Services
Centrelink are able to provide financial support for people living with a disability, as well as help them to find employment.


YDAS-Youth disability advocacy services
Youth disability advocacy provides services to young people aged 12-25 years to raise awareness of their rights.
Phone: 03 9267 3709


Brotherhood of St Laurence – NDIS Local Area Coordination
The Brotherhood of St Laurence is delivering the NDIS in North and East Melbourne. For more local information you can visit the Banyule and Nillumbik office: 65 Main Street, Greensborough, 3088
Phone: 1300 BSLNDIS (1300 275 634)  


Education and Training

National Disability Coordination Officer
The NDCO address the barriers that people with a disability face in education, employment and training (15-64 years)
Ramona Mandy
National Disability Coordination officer
Phone: 03 9686 2354                                                                                          


Youth Projects – Disability Employment Services
A Disability Employment Services program designed specifically for young people to achieve employment and education goals. Youth Projects focus on what you can do; your strengths, interests and passions.Youth Projects have specialised Youth Coaches whose primary responsibility is working with each young person to tailor pathways to their goals and aspirations.
Phone: 03 9304 9100 or free call 1800 602 549.


youth projects

CVGT Australia
Young people aged 15-21 may be eligible for CVGT’s Transition to work program which offers young people practical experience and support as well as the opportunity to gain skills and confidence through their employment journey.
Greensborough Office: 88 Main Street, Greensborough, 3088
Phone: 03 8401 6170



Offers NDIS-funded learning pathways. These can prepare you for future employment or next-step training in a supportive environment.

Phone: 03 8457 2208

Araluen logo

IDV – Disability Service Provider

IDV is one of the largest not-for profit organisations in the northern regions, delivering services predominantly throughout the municipalities of Banyule, Nillumbik, Darebin and Whittlesea.

IDV currently supports approximately 150 people with a disability to realise and achieve their goals and aspirations with a strong emphasis on community.

Phone: 03 9458 4279

IDV logo


Banyule City Council

Banyule City Council is committed to ensuring our community is accessible to everyone. Council has dedicated staff that work to ensure that Council buildings, services and programs are accessible and include people with disability. For more information, you can contact Community & Social Planner: Michael Uniacke
Phone: 9433 7733
TTY: 13 677 then ask for 03 9490 7733


Jets (Banyule Youth Services)

Jets is a multifunctional creative arts youth facility that delivers a range of inclusive programs and activities for young people in and around Banyule. Part of Banyule City Council Youth Services; Jets, provides training in and access to a range of professional music and multimedia equipment, facilitates creative arts workshops and coordinates a number of events in the local community, including the annual Banyule Youth Festival.


Address: 2/24 The Concord Bundoora
Phone: 9098 8000
Mobile: 0411 267 427
Opening Hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm (Monday to Friday) Group Times:  All groups are facilitated from 4pm, Monday – Thursday face to face & online. 

Find us on social media: 



Jets logo small

Yarra Plenty Regional Library
Offer accessible programs and equipment for people with disabilities including digital talking books, digital reading book groups and PC’s with large screens and modified keyboards and mouses.
Phone: 03 9480 7888                                                                                                 


Interact provides a range of tailored services for people with disabilities, their families and carers. These include post school planning, creative recreational activities, holiday and respite programs, employment services and independent living skills
General Enquiries: 1800 093 369
Principal Office Victoria (Head Office)
03 8650 7000

interact australia

Access for All Abilities 
Reclink Australia is funded by the Access for All Abilities program to act as the first point of call for people with disabilities looking for sporting opportunities, through the provision of Access for All Abilities Play. AAA Play is a free information and referral service.
Phone: 1800 222 842


Aspergers Support Group
Aspergers Support Group – group for teens in Blackburn and Glen Waverley for young adults.

Aspergers Support Group

Latrobe Lifeskills (OVER 19s)

Life skills learning and development school for people 19 + years. Participants are required to attend 3 days per week. Participants primarily have intellectual disabilities and ABI’s.

Phone: (03) 94791474

LS logo small

Extended Families Australia
Extended Families Australia is a not-for-profit incorporated association that provides support, respite, significant social relationships and community participation for children with disabilities and their families in Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula
Central Office (Coburg) Phone: 03 9355 8848

extended families

The Lab
The Lab is a growing network of technology clubs for 10-16 year-old young people diagnosed with high functioning Autism who enjoy working with computers.  

the lab

Arts Access
Arts Access have an online directory for accessible art programs and activities for people with disability.

arts access

Support & Other Info

Livewire powered by Starlight

Livewire is an online peer support community for young people ages 12-20 living in Australia or New Zealand who have a chronic health condition, serious illness or disability, and their siblings. Livewire is powered by Starlight Children’s Foundation provides support for young people who are dealing with tricky stuff and can do with some extra support from crew who understand.


Livewire powered by Starlight

Tell Someone
The ‘Tell Someone’ Website is aimed at educating people with a mild intellectual disability and their family and community about family violence.

tell someone

Association for Children Living with a Disability
The ACLD offer family Support resources for families with young children who have recently been diagnosed with a disability or developmental delay.
Phone: 03 9880 7000


Interchange offer family support and social opportunities for children and young people with a disability.
Phone: 03 9663 4886 or 1300 300 436 (FREECALL)


Pride Vic
Pride Vic assists individuals who have a disability through outreach and social programs by using person centred approaches and connect individuals with LGBTIQ+ communities.


pride vic

Disability Sport and Recreation (DSR)
DSR promotes health and wellbeing for people who have a disability. Through DSR, you can find the right sport or recreational activity that suits your interests and needs.
Phone: (03) 9473 0133

Multicultural Services

Centrelink Multilingual Phone Service
Speak with a skilled bilingual service officer or read information in your language about our payments and services.
Ph: 13 12 02


Centre for Multicultural Youth (CMY)      

The Centre for Multicultural Youth is a not-for-profit organisation based in Victoria, providing specialist knowledge and support to young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds. CMY can assist young people in the following areas-

  • Support to navigate systems and services
  • Youth Opportunities
  • Employment
  • Support & Mentoring
  • Community Connections
  • Sport
  • Advocacy
  • Youth Advisory Group
  • Youth Justice                                                                        
  • 304 Drummond Street
    Carlton VIC 3053
    9340 3700


Spectrum Migrant Resource Centre’s Youth Services                                                                        
The Spectrum Youth Services team understands the needs of young people in a way that encourages community engagement and relationship building. Young people, predominantly from migrant and refugee backgrounds aged 12 to 25 have access to a range of support services that include individual casework, referrals to other services, information about relevant topics, participation in sporting and recreational activities, leadership and advocacy training, and education support.

163 Harvester rd Sunshine 3020
1300 735 653


Asylum Seeker Resource Centre

The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) is Australia’s largest human rights organisation providing support to people seeking asylum. They are an independent not-for-profit organisation whose programs support and empower people seeking asylum to maximise their own physical, mental and social wellbeing. Services available can include:

  • Food
  • Healthcare
  • Legal aid
  • Employment support
  • Learn English
  • Study and training
  • Support for people in detention
  • Casework and counselling
  • Sports and recreation

The ASRC Footscray is open for drop in’s Monday to Friday 10-5pm

214-216 Nicholson Street, Footscray, VIC 3011
9326 6066


Asylum Seeker Welcome Centre (ASWC)

The Asylum Seeker Welcome Centre (ASWC) is a community centre that offers a safe and welcoming space for people seeking asylum in Melbourne. The aim to empower and resource clients to act on their own behalf and maintain a secure and consistent environment, as this forms the basis for providing clients with a sense of safety and belonging. Services include:

  • Information, referrals and linkages to services
  • Social connections
  • Hot meals
  • Computer classes
  • English classes
  • Art classes
  • Excursions and activities

212 Sydney Road, Brunswick VIC 3057
Ph: (03) 9388 2459


Fitzroy Learning Network

Fitzroy Learning Network offer courses and other learning opportunities for those who need and want to acquire new skills, exercise their creativity and support their social connection and participation. They offer nationally accredited English language and literacy courses, computer classes and access to new technologies as well as informal learning opportunities. Their youth programs also include a great range of social and skill building activities such as multimedia, cooking classes, movie nights and school holiday activities.

198 Napier Street, Fitzroy VIC 3065
9417 2897


Foundation House (Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture)

Foundation House provides a range of services to people from refugee backgrounds whom have survived torture or war related trauma. It provides direct services to clients in the form of counselling, advocacy, family support, group work, psycho-education, information sessions and complementary therapies. Direct services to clients are coupled with referral, training and education roles aimed at developing and strengthening the resources of various communities and service providers. Foundation House provides services across different offices in Melbourne. Services are also provided in several rural and regional centres across Victoria.

4 Gardiner Street, Brunswick VIC 3056
9389 8900


Refugee Legal (formerly the Refugee Immigration Legal Centre)

Refugee Legal (formerly known as the Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre or RILC) is Australia’s largest provider of free specialist legal assistance to people seeking asylum, refugees and disadvantaged migrants. Refugee Legal provides substantial legal advice and casework service. They do this via the following options-

  • Telephone advice line
  • Evening advice service
  • Day time case work, including full legal representation
  • Temporary protection visa (TPV) clinics
  • Strategic ‘test case’ litigation
  • Client and community information sessions

Level 6, 20 Otter Street, Collingwood, VIC 3066
Reception 9413 0101
Advice line 9413 0100 


Online Database of English Classes

The Refugee Council of Australia (RCOA) is delighted to host Seeking English, a live database of English classes all over Melbourne, specifically for people seeking asylum.  This database is a joint project of the Network of Asylum Seeker Agencies Victoria (NASAVic).


Somali Australian Council of Victoria SACOV             

SACOV acts as an umbrella body for Somali organisations in Victoria and supports the activities of member organisations and Somali people. Their services include advocacy, employment support, homework club, access to computers, internet and other office facilities.                                                                                                                         
03 8582 9514
The Harmony Centre,
Shop 48 The Mall, Heidelberg West,
Melbourne Victoria 3081


Study Melbourne Student Centre

International students from any institution can access the Study Melbourne Student Centre to access free support, information and contacts to help you enjoy living and studying in Victoria. They can provide case work, mental health assistance and legal advice services. Study Melbourne also funds a range of programs and activities for international students to connect with others, they even have a facebook page.

Study Melbourne Student Centre
17 Hardware Lane, Melbourne
1800 056 449
International Students facebook group


Latrobe International Student Support hotline

This is a special after-hours telephone hotline for international students at La Trobe University. They care and want to help you with anything you might be worried about.

If you need help at night or on the weekends call 1800 758 360. This is a free call from landlines anywhere in Australia. Standard call rates apply from mobile phones.

You can contact the after-hours hotline from outside Australia by calling +61 2 8905 0307.

1800 758 360
International calls +61 2 8905 0307


Supporting CALD communities calling 000

Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) aim to inform different CALD communities what to expect when they call triple zero in an emergency. This will include a new translated animation video and infographic, which has been translated into 10 different languages and can be found on the ESTA website. As the campaign progresses, it will feature a PR push, such as in-language radio segments, and a targeted Facebook advertising campaign.

The translated resources can be found here:


Mental health fact sheets for the Somali community

Banyule City Council have created some resources about anxiety & depression for Banyule’s Somali community. The first two pages of each document (downloadable below) is written in Somali, and the second two pages is in English. These resources were designed by a young Somali-Australian person for other young Somali-Australians. They were also written in Somali so that they could be shared with parents of young Somali-Australians.

Depression Somalian-English Fact Sheet

Anxiety Somalian-English Fact Sheet

Employment, Alternative Education & Training

One of Australia’s largest employment websites

Seek banner

Over 60,000 job ads online. Also provides information on tertiary education.


Career One banner

Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC)
The central office that administers the application processes for places in tertiary courses, scholarships and the Special Entry Access Scheme at universities, TAFEs and independent tertiary colleges in Victoria. VTAC receives and forwards application information and supporting documentation to the relevant authorities at institutions.


VTAC Banner

A Victorian Government initiative that supports young people who are disengaged from education, to return to education and learning. Navigator works with young people, their families and support networks to address issues underlying disengagement and help them re-engage with their education and achieve their goals. For more information and referrals please visit the website.



Job Seeker and Education Websites

RMIT Skills and Jobs Centre

Astate government funded service that provides a free careers counselling service to Victorian citizens who are looking for work, changing careers or considering their study options. They work with people from all walks of life and in all situations from those just beginning their careers to experienced professionals and everyone in between.

The Skills and Jobs Centre runs free regular employment-related workshops which can be accessed via their webpage:

Free appointment bookings with a Careers Counsellor can be accessed here:

RMIT Skills and Jobs Centre

Course Camel
This one-stop shop gives an overview of ALL accredited TAFE and University courses Australia-wide, to make it easier to find a course that suits you.

Course Camel

Free job tools and advice for full-time, part-time and contract jobs.


Australian Job Search
Find jobs, post your resume, and receive daily job match e-mails. Also includes local job search function. (Job seeker ID number required for this website). 

Australian Job Search

Ethical Jobs
A job search engine for listings in the community sector, environmental and not for profit organisations.

Ethical Jobs

Alternative Education

The Pavilion
Offers an educational setting for young people within the Northern Metropolitan Region who are disengaged from education and/or training.
Student criteria:

  • Aged 12-20 within the Northern Metropolitan Region. 
  • Disengaged from education and training. 
  • A willingness to participate in the model provided at the Pavilion. 
  • A willingness to work towards agreed educational goals. 

Phone: 9470 2023 (Preston)
Phone: 9401 3900 (Epping)

The Pavilion

Valley VCAL: Diamond Valley Learning Centre, Greensborough 
This VCAL program is ideal for students who want to study in small classes.  
Vocational Education and Training (VET) programs are available on site.  
Other programs offered include numeracy, professional skills development, literacy, computers and maths.

Address: Cnr Diamond Creek and St Helena Roads, Greensborough 3088
Phone: 9435 9060


Vocational Pathways – Melbourne Polytechnic 
The Youth Unit at NMIT offers a wide range of innovative TAFE (VET) and Higher Education (Degrees) that prepare early school leavers and young people for the workplace. VCAL, literacy and numeracy and vocational counselling are offered.   

Phone: 9269 8400


Melbourne Polytechnic Greensborough: Greensborough Campus, Building B, 61 Civic Drive, Greensborough
Phone: 9269 1200                                                                                              

Melbourne Polytechnic 

Return to Education & Vocation Program
The REV program is available to young people who are either not attending school or at risk of being excluded from the school system. It aims to assist students develop pathways into the education system or into employment.
The REV program is available to young people between the ages of 15 and 17. They must be clients of the Austin Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service and be referred by their case manager.

Phone: 9496 5324.

Return to Education & Vocation Program

Banuyle Nillumbik Local Learning & Employment Network (LLEN)
Supports young people 10-19 to help improve their education and employment prospects. Services include workplace learning and L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program.    
Phone: 9431 8000                                                                                                          

Banuyle Nillumbik Local Learning & Employment Network (LLEN)

Victorian Skills Gateway
The Victorian Skills Gateway is your one-stop-shop for vocational training in Victoria.

Victorian Skills Gateway

The Hester Hornbrook Academy (HHA)
Provides flexible education and learning options, including VCAL (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning) and VETiS (Vocational Education and Training in Schools).

Phone: 1800 517 218

The Hester Hornbrook Academy (HHA)

Lynall Hall
A small secondary government school that caters for students who for a variety of reasons are seeking an alternative to mainstream schooling.
Lynall Hall is an inclusive learning setting  where the main focus is to develop the social, emotional and educational needs of its students with the aim of providing successful learning for individuals and promoting a culture of excitement for lifelong learning.
The following are Lynall Hall campuses:

  • ‘Lynall Hall Community School’ in Richmond 
  • ‘The Island’ in Coburg

Phone: 9428 4421 (Richmond)
Phone: 9489 0611 (Coburg)

Lynall Hall

Study Link
Study Link is a data base of courses of study in Australia and abroad.



Jobs Advocate Victoria

Looking for employment, education and training support and advice? You can access our free and inclusive one-on-one employment, education and training support program.

Whether it’s face-to-face, online or via telephone, we’re ready to flexibly support community members aged 15+ years. Check out our Jobs Advocate Victoria page HERE


Sarina Russo – Job Access
Employment placement services for unemployed young people.

Heidelberg Office: 106 Burgundy Street, Heidelberg 3084
Phone: 9455 8500
Greensborough Office: Level 3, 271 Para Road, Greensborough 3088
Phone: 13 15 59

Sarina Russo - Job Access

Job Prospects
An employment service provider. They can help with job search techniques, application process and resumes, interview skills, pre-employment and vocational training, traineeships and apprenticeships, self-employment and work experience.

Address: Level 2, 104 Burgundy Street, Heidelberg 3084
Phone: 9455 3910

Job Prospects

Uniting – Disability Employment
Specialist employment services for young people with a disability.

Phone: 1300 090 989

Uniting – Disability Employment


SEDA College
An education program that exists to engage, educate and empower young people as they transition from school to employment or further study. SEDA’s program was established in 2006 to meet the needs of young people whose education preference is for an applied and context relevant learning experience.

Phone: 1300117332

SEDA College

AFL SportsReady
Provides an entry level of vocational training and work experience to help young people launch their careers while gaining qualification and employability skills. AFL SportsReady works in partnership with a wide range of organisations across select industries including sport, business, arts and the creative industries, finance and education.
Their Indigenous Employment Program includes vocational traineeships and direct recruitment as well as cultural awareness and professional development services.
National / Victoria Office: L3, Bob Rose Stand, Corner Lulie & Abbot St, Abottsford 3067
Phone: 03 8413 3500

AFL SportsReady

MEGT Australia
A not for profit organisation who supports employers, apprentices, trainees, job seekers and education solutions.

Phone: 13 69 63
Phone: 9401 3666 (Epping Office)

MEGT Australia

Career Education Association of Victoria Institute (CEAV)
A not for profit association that offers professional development, support and career development services. Services include career counselling as well as delivering accredited training in career/ professional development.

Phone: 9433 8000

Career Education Association of Victoria Institute (CEAV)

Victorian Skills Gateway
A website that provides information on different education and training options for trainees apprentices and students.

Phone: 131 823

Victorian Skills Gateway
LGBTIQ+ Services

Rainbow Space Banyule

Rainbow Space is a collective of young adults 14 – 24 from Banyule area who are passionate about LGBTIQ diversity and promoting inclusion.
For more about Rainbow Space, click here or contact Maddi on 9457 9855

Rainbow Space Logo

Rainbow Group (Whittlesea Youth Services)

This program aims to build a positive supportive network for young people aged 12 – 25 years who identify as LGBTIQ+ and those supporting them.

The program tackles homophobia and transphobia in the City of Whittlesea whilst building positive social networks for young people in a safe environment.

Participants will also have the opportunity to plan and attend events for the LGBTIQ+ community.

For more information contact Holly at Baseline for Young People on 9404 8800 or email



Minus18 is Australia’s largest youth-led organisation for same-sex attracted and gender diverse young people. This is where we belong.




Minus18 Logo

Gay & Lesbian Switchboard
Gay and Lesbian Switchboard is a free, anonymous and confidential telephone based counselling, information and referral service based in Melbourne.
Counsellors are available daily:
7 Days a week 3.00pm – 12.00midnight, Wed 2-10pm, Fri, Sat, Sun and Public Holidays 6-9pm
Phone:1800 184 527

Switchboard Logo


Sex Etc

A web site by teens, for teens! With answers to those tricky questions you’re not sure about.

Sex Etc

Gay Share

Gay share is a quick and easy way for Lesbian & Gay people in Melbourne to find gay friendly homes and flatmates.

Phone: 1300 661 960

Gay Share

TransGender Victoria

TGV is dedicated to achieving justice & equity for people experiencing gender identity issues, their partners, families and friends. Information and support and advocacy provided.

Phone: 03 9020 4642

TransGender Victoria

Social Groups

Thorne Harbour Health Peer Workshops

The Peer Education Program offers workshops for LGBTIQ+ communities. These workshops provide a confidential and welcoming environment for participants to socialise and engage in a shared learning experience. See what workshops are on offer via the link below.

Thorne Harbour Health Peer Workshops


Y-Glam Performing Arts Project is a program of Merri Community Health Services in Coburg and is for young people aged 14 to 25 who are same sex attracted or transgender from anywhere around Melbourne.
Address: Oxygen Youth Space 4/8 Gaffney Street, Coburg
Phone: 1300 637 744 (speak with YGLAM Project)


Y Gender

Y Gender is a vibrant social group for trans, gender-queer, and gender questioning young people and friends based in Melbourne. Y Gender runs social events and has monthly meetings to organise projects.

Y Gender

Joy 94.9

Joy FM is Australia’s first gay & lesbian radio station. It is an intimate, available and immediate way for you to link instantly to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and Intersex (GLBTI) community.
Phone: 1300 JOY 949   
Text: 0427 JOY 949


Health and Support

Melbourne Sexual Health Centre

Doctors and nurses provide sexual health services, such as testing and counselling. All services are free and confidential.
Address: 580 Swanston Street Carlton 3053
Phone: 03 9341 6200|

Melbourne Sexual Health Centre

Family Planning Victoria

Family Planning Victoria provides reproductive and sexual health clinical services to LGBTIQ clients through our clinics. They have a broad range of clinical experience and skills that meet the needs of LGBTIQ clients accessing our services, whatever age you are.
Box Hill
Clinic hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Phone: 03 9257 0100
Action Centre – Melbourne CBD
Clinic hours: Mon-Fri 8am-6pm
Phone: 03 9660 4700 or 03 9257 0100

Family Planning Victoria

YEAH: Young and Empowered Around Health

YEAH is an Australian youth-driven organisation supporting young people to lead sexual health awareness in their communities and take control of their sexual health.


Northside Clinic

Northside Clinic is a General Practice owned and staffed by a number of GPs with years of experience working in Melbourne’s inner north. The clinic is open to all, but has a particular focus on Sexual Health, as well as providing quality medical care in a safe and friendly environment for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans and HIV positive communities in Melbourne’s north.

The clinic provides comprehensive testing for and management of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and HIV, as well as a full range of General Practice and Allied Health services that are LGBTQIA+ friendly and accessible.
Phone: 9485 7700

Northside Clinic

The Rainbow Families Victoria

The Rainbow Families Council is a volunteer community organisation that aims to ensure equality for rainbow familes: parents, partners and prospective parents who identify as being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex, and their children.     

The Rainbow Families Victoria

Zoe Belle Gender Collective

Zoe Belle Gender Collective (ZBGC) is a trans and gender diverse led advocacy organisation based in Victoria, Australia. ZBGC’s goal is to improve the health and wellbeing of trans and gender diverse (TGD) people.

ZBGC advocates for trans and gender diverse people being central to decision making around our own healthcare. We actively encourage TGD community representation on relevant boards, reference groups, management positions and in the workforce of the services that address our needs.

Zoe Belle Gender Collective

Australian GLBTIQ Multicultural Council (AGNC)

The AGMC directory list LGBTQIA+ groups and service across Victroia and parts of New South Wales.

Australian GLBTIQ Multicultural Council (AGNC)

Know Your Rights

*this information was correct at the time of publishing and may have changed since.*

  • If requested, you should give your name and address to police and protective service officers (PSO). Police and PSO’s must tell you the reason why they are questioning you, if they don’t you should ask. You also have the right to ask for the officer’s name, rank and where they are stationed. If you refuse or give a false name and address you can be charged and fined $500.
  • You do not have to go anywhere with the police unless arrested. The police must tell you “You are under arrest”, and state why you are under arrest. Always ask why they are taking you to the police station and for the details of the arresting officer.
  • If arrested, you have the right to phone a lawyer. You should ask for this. You also have the right to phone a friend or relative.
  • You do not have to answer other police questions. Be calm and polite. There is no such thing as an “off the record” statement. If you have a clear explanation of your innocence, it may be advisable to give this to your lawyer first. Sometimes you can get into trouble by answering police questions. To each and every question (other than your name and address), answer “No comment until I get legal advice”.
  • If you are under 18 years old, the police cannot question you without a parent, guardian or an independent adult present.
  • You “have to” give your fingerprints if you are 15 years old or over, and the police suspect that you may have committed an offence. Police may use reasonable force to take your fingerprints. If you are between 10 and 14, you “don’t have to” give your fingerprints unless both you and a parent/guardian agree, or the police obtain a court order.
  • You have the right to refuse your photograph being taken, or being put in an identification “line-up”.
  • You can say no if police may request you undergo a forensic procedure (e.g. blood sample, taking pubic hair or saliva). The police must get a court order first.
  • Police can only search you, or your car, if they reasonably suspect illegal drugs, weapons, stolen goods or to preserve evidence. Otherwise, a search warrant is required.
  • Police must provide an interpreter if they believe that you require one.

For information on rights and responsibilities check out for their fact sheets about a range of topics like Graffiti, Bullying, Public Transport, Information and Privacy, Going to Court and Police. 

Legal Information


Youthlaw provides free and confidential legal advice to young people up to the age of 25, and/or those assisting/working with young people under the age of 25 (such as parents and youth workers). Youthlaw can also provide specific assistance with fines. Fact sheets and YouTube clips are also available for young people, families and workers.

Youthlaw also offer a drop-in clinic at Frontyard Youth Services on Tuesday and Friday from 1pm to 5pm that assists with a range of legal issues. The drop-in clinic is located at: 19 King St, Melbourne 3000 (call prior to check service delivery update).

Phone: 9113 9500
hone: 1800 800 531
Submit a request: ask a lawyer online form



Youth Law Australia
Offers legal advice via the internet for young people. You can ask a legal question via email, view online resources on topics like juvenile justice and weapons, or watch an animation to find out what to expect in court. Select your state so the laws are relevant.

Phone: 9385 9588
Submit legal questions:


Youth Law Australia

Job Watch Inc
Provides a free and confidential telephone information and referral service. Also provides some case work in the area of employment law as well as fact sheets and Q&A.
Phone: 9662 1933
Freecall: 1800 331 617

Job Watch

Consumer Action Law Centre

Provides free legal services including advice and representation to vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers, financial counselling and free, independent financial advice over the phone and web.

Phone: 1800 007 007 (national debt helpline)
Live chat: (financial counselling)
Phone: 1800 466 477 (legal advice)
Phone: 1800 574 457 (Koori help) 

Consumer Action manage MoneyHelp 

Work and Development Permit scheme (WDP) (Options for working off a fine if you can’t afford to pay it)

The WDP scheme is an initiative started in 2017 by the State government, to provide vulnerable and disadvantaged people with a non-financial option to address their fine debt.  A WDP allows an eligible person to work off their fine debt by participating in certain activities and supportive activities. You need a sponsor to be eligible.

Phone: 1300 323 483 

Work and Development Permit scheme

PRACE and the Work and Development Permit scheme (WDP)

PRACE is an accredited agency offering the WDP scheme. The WDP provides vulnerable and disadvantaged people with a non-financial option to address their fine debt. A WDP allows an eligible person to work off their fine debt by participating in certain activities and treatment. Those with unpaid fines, who apply for and are approved for a WDP, can choose to enroll in a PRACE course in order to fulfill the requirements of their WDP. Their class attendance in their chosen course assists them in paying down their fine debt. One hour of class attendance equates to $49.66 being paid off their fine debt.’

Phone: 9462 6077
More information: Download the flyer below


Legal Services

West Heidelberg Community Legal Service (WHCLS)
Provides initial advice by appointment in all areas of law. The service offers casework assistance and court representations. WHCLS has recently established Fines Clinic which operates on Mondays. All enquiries from young people are supported. Please call to chat about support options available. 

Address: 21 Alamein Road, West Heidelberg 3081
Phone: 9450 2002



Children and Young Persons Infringement Notice System (CAYPINS)
If a young person receives a fine that they cannot pay, they are able to organise a time, place and date with a CAYPINS registrar, who will decide what to do about the fine at court.

Phone: 8638 3300


Children and Young Persons Infringement Notice System

North East Citizen Advocacy 
A community-based program that aims to recognise, promote and protect the rights and interests of people with intellectual disabilities.

Address: 56 Gabonia Ave, Watsonia South 3087
Phone: 8407 3684


North East Citizen Advocacy 

Women’s Legal Service Victoria (WLSV)
A legal service for women specialising in relationship breakdown and violence against women. WLSV provides face-to-face legal services including court representation and telephone legal advice and referral. Drop-in service is currently unavailable. 

Address: Level 10, 277 William Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone: 8622 0600
Free call: 1800 133 302

Women's Legal Service Victoria

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS)
Provides legal aid and assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Address: 273 High St, Preston 3072
Phone: 9418 5999
Freecall: 1800 064 865

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service

Justice Connect Homeless Law
Homeless Law is a project of Justice Connect. Through Homeless Law, people who are experiencing or are at risk of homelessness can access specialised free legal services.

Phone: 1800 606 313 (Free Call)

Justice Connect Homeless Law

Legal Aid Victoria
Legal information about school, sex, carrying weapons, drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, health, the police and courts, relationships, tattoos and body piercing. Legal Aid Victoria also have a great recourse ‘Am I old Enough?’ that covers common legal issues young people face. 
Address: 350 Queen Street, Melbourne 3001
Phone: 1300 792 387

Legal Aid Victoria

Court Network
Provides personal and emotional support, referral and information and programs to those in contact with the justice system.
Non legal service.
Address: Ground floor, 565 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, 3000
Phone: 8306 6966 (Referral and information)
Freecall: 1800 681 614

Court Network

Tenants Union of Victoria
Aims to inform and educate tenants about their rights, improve conditions for tenants, improve the status of tenants and represent the collective interests of tenants in law and policy making. They provide advice, assistance and advocacy for tenants of private and public residential properties, and residents of rooming houses and caravan parks in Victoria, Australia. Website is available in different languages

Phone: 9416 2577
Phone: 1800 068 860 (tenants advice line)


Tenants Union of Victoria
Support for Young Carers

Carers Victoria

Carers Victoria provides essential services for carers. These include the 1800 514 845 telephone advisory line, NDIS advisory service, telephone and skype counselling, emergency respite and other carer support services, such as purchasing goods and equipment.

Carers Victoria

Carer Gateway Counselling Service

Carer Gateway offer a free professional counselling service over the phone. Call 1800 422 737.

Emergency Care Plan

The Carer Gateway has an Emergency Care Plan document that can help ensure that the person you care for is looked after if you are unable to care.



Young Carers Bursary Program

The Young Carers Bursary Program supports young carers to continue with their education. The program offers a limited number of bursaries of up to $3,000 each year. Applications usually open every year in July but you can sign up to the mailing list at anytime to make sure you get contacted when it’s time to apply.

young carers

Little Dreamers Holiday Program

Little Dreamers host holiday programs every school holiday period. Sign up to take part.

Little Dreamers Mentoring Program

The Little Dreamers offer the chance to build lasting friendships and build lifelong skills. through their mentor program.

Little Dreamers

L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program

The L2P program targets learner drivers under 21 years of age who have their Learners Permit but do not have access to a supervising driver or a vehicle due to financial or family circumstances in order to achieve the required 120 hours of driving experience.



headspace Greensborough is a welcoming environment where young people aged 12-25 can access confidential and free support. 

  • Mental Health Suppot
  • Doctor (GP)
  • Alcohol and other drugs support

To make an appointment phone 9433 7200. They are located on Level 1, 78 Main St Greensborough (above the Westpac and Bendigo banks).



Young Carers Network

The Young Carers Network is a place for young carers to learn about support services, access resources and share their stories and opinions.

Safe Partying & Schoolies

Staying safe while partying

Partying and celebrating with your mates can be awesome, until someone takes it too far or things get messy. Here are some quick tips about staying safe when you party:

  • Stick together – if you’re out with your friends, stick together and leave together. Don’t leave friends behind, even if they want to keep partying when you’re done.
  • Trust your instincts – if you don’t trust a person or a situation you probably have a good reason
  • Use your head – drugs and alcohol can cause you to make decisions you would never make when you are sober
  • You don’t have to get smashed to have a good time
  • Drink water and eat food in between alcoholic drinks
  • Keep an eye on your drink – don’t put it down.
  • If you choose to have sex at a party or while you’re under the influence – make sure you are aware of safe sex practices and that you make the decision when you are sober. You can get some great tips to stay safe here
  • Be careful about what you put on social media – photos, statuses, comments may cause trouble for your future self, including future employers.
  • Tell someone you trust where you’re going and how they can contact you.
  • Make a plan of where you are staying or how you are getting home before you go

Hosting a Party

A fun time can turn sour pretty quickly if something bad happens. Fights, drug problems, people being too drunk or a visit from the police can shut a party down pretty quickly.

Your responsibilities

As the host of the party it is your responsibility to ensure that the party is a fun and safe environment for your guests. If something goes wrong, you will be the one who must face the most consequences, so it is in your best interest – and the interest of your guests and your community – to take steps to avoid any problems.

Secondary Supply Laws

Secondary Supply is when someone over the age of 18 provides a person aged under 18 years alcohol. All states in Australia may have differing laws and it is important to check your state so you are up to date. Below is Victoria’s definition from the Alcohol and Drug Foundation in June 2020. This may change and you can check the Government website listed below for the most up to date information across the country.

Under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Vic), it is illegal to supply alcohol to people aged under 18 years in a private home unless parental consent has been given.

An adult (a person over 18 who is the parent, guardian or spouse of the minor, or who is authorised to supply liquor to the minor by the minor’s parent, guardian or spouse) can only supply liquor to a minor in a residence if they can demonstrate responsible supervision of the supply of liquor.

Factors that demonstrate responsible service include:

  • the age of the minor
  • whether the person supplying the liquor is intoxicated
  • whether the minor consumes food with the liquor
  • whether the person supplying the liquor is providing supervision of the minor’s consumption of the liquor
  • the quantity and type of liquor supplied and the time period in which the liquor is supplied
  • whether the minor is intoxicated.

Party problems

Some of the typical problems that could go on at your party are:

  • Alcohol problems – especially if you’re under 18 (make sure you are up to date on the secondary supply laws)
  • Drugs
  • Gatecrashers and unwanted guests
  • Violence
  • Noise levels
  • Upsetting your neighbours
  • Breakages and mess

Tips when hosting a party

  • Have a plan about Secondary Supply in place if there will be alcohol present
  • Try to let people know about the party in a way that can be controlled – like paper invitations instead of text or Facebook.
  • Tell everyone it is an invite only party
  • Be clear about the start and finish times
  • Register your party with the police
  • Have some form of security at your party, even if its parents of the guests.
  • Stay sober – you can keep a level head and deal with any issues that come up quickly.
  • Serve food!
  • Call the police if you need to – they will be more understanding and helpful if you have registered the party with them beforehand
  • Let the neighbours know that you’re having a party and what time you’ll be turning the music down.

Useful links to learn more about Safe Partying

Australian Government Alcohol laws in Australia-secondary supply

Australian Government Alcohol laws in Australia-secondary supply

Victoria Police-Partysafe

We recommend always registering your party with Victoria Police. You can do this on this here

Victoria Police-Partysafe

Yeah Aware

Yeah Aware run Australia’s largest online and face to face engagement tool to connect young people with up to date sexual health information

yeah aware

Youth Central

Youth Central have great resources for young people around study and training but also include great factual information on topics young people care about including this great tip sheet about how to have a safe party

Youth Central

Reach Out

Fantastic tips for those wanting to enjoy a drink but not get drunk and out of control

Reach Out

Alcohol and Drug Foundation

ADF put together this great page for parents looking for support around guiding their children through the ‘party scene’ including making decisions around their own celebration options.

Alcohol and Drug Foundation


Whether you stay in Victoria, travel interstate or head overseas, Schoolies can be a great way to celebrate the end of high school and the beginning of adulthood with your friends. Many people come back with lots of fond memories they can laugh about for years to come. In order to make sure your experience is as positive as possible it is important to stay safe, look after your mates and be organised to avoid disappointment.

Check out these pages for great info, accommodation, travel options, free stuff, competitions, tips and much more!

Always remember that you can ring 000 for help at any time (or 112 if your phone is out of range). Do not hesitate to call if you or someone you know is in trouble or danger, or if you’re lost or don’t feel safe.

When you call an ambulance, you won’t necessarily have to deal with the police too – the police will only be called if someone’s safety is being threatened. If you think you need to call an ambulance – it is always better to be safe than sorry. The paramedics want to keep you safe, they don’t want to get you in trouble. Ambulance workers respect your privacy and will do what they can to assist you without contacting the police.

If you or a friend are sick but you don’t think you need an ambulance you can call Nurse on Call for advice and information for health services in your area. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in Victoria you can call 1300 60 60 24. If you are outside Victoria you can call a nurse triage service Healthdirect  1800 022 222

Remember to never leave a friend behind

If using a transport service such as Uber or Taxis make sure you take steps to keep safe. Such as double checking the rego of the Uber you are getting into. Always write down the taxi number on the card situated in front of the passenger seat when hopping into a cab (in particular if you are catching a cab by yourself) – send the number to a friend or family number so that you can be tracked down if needed. Where possible always travel with friends.

Watch your drinks. Try buying bottled drinks when out at a nightclub or bar to avoid drink spiking. Don’t forget that the most common way of spiking drinks is done using alcohol. Make sure you watch bartenders prepare your drinks to ensure you receive a standard amount of alcohol in your drink and not more

Do not forget that you have the right to say NO. Make decisions that you feel comfortable with. You are also able to change your mind at any stage. Call 000 at any time you feel unsafe

Parents, check out this great resource for tips on talking to your kids about staying safe at Schoolies.
Alcohol and Drug Foundation – Schoolies – some advice for parents

Some useful contact numbers:

Schoolies – Gold Coast

Schoolies – Bali

​Schoolies – Airlie Beach

Schoolies – Byron Bay