Banyule Youth Services

Safe Partying & Schoolies

Staying safe while partying

Partying and celebrating with your mates can be awesome, until someone takes it too far or things get messy. Here are some quick tips about staying safe when you party:

  • Stick together – if you’re out with your friends, stick together and leave together. Don’t leave friends behind, even if they want to keep partying when you’re done.
  • Trust your instincts – if you don’t trust a person or a situation you probably have a good reason
  • Use your head – drugs and alcohol can cause you to make decisions you would never make when you are sober
  • You don’t have to get smashed to have a good time
  • Drink water and eat food in between alcoholic drinks
  • Keep an eye on your drink – don’t put it down.
  • If you choose to have sex at a party or while you’re under the influence – make sure you are aware of safe sex practices and that you make the decision when you are sober. You can get some great tips to stay safe here
  • Be careful about what you put on social media – photos, statuses, comments may cause trouble for your future self, including future employers.
  • Tell someone you trust where you’re going and how they can contact you.
  • Make a plan of where you are staying or how you are getting home before you go

Hosting a Party

A fun time can turn sour pretty quickly if something bad happens. Fights, drug problems, people being too drunk or a visit from the police can shut a party down pretty quickly.

Your responsibilities

As the host of the party it is your responsibility to ensure that the party is a fun and safe environment for your guests. If something goes wrong, you will be the one who must face the most consequences, so it is in your best interest – and the interest of your guests and your community – to take steps to avoid any problems.

Secondary Supply Laws

Secondary Supply is when someone over the age of 18 provides a person aged under 18 years alcohol. All states in Australia may have differing laws and it is important to check your state so you are up to date. Below is Victoria’s definition from the Alcohol and Drug Foundation in June 2020. This may change and you can check the Government website listed below for the most up to date information across the country.

Under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Vic), it is illegal to supply alcohol to people aged under 18 years in a private home unless parental consent has been given.

An adult (a person over 18 who is the parent, guardian or spouse of the minor, or who is authorised to supply liquor to the minor by the minor’s parent, guardian or spouse) can only supply liquor to a minor in a residence if they can demonstrate responsible supervision of the supply of liquor.

Factors that demonstrate responsible service include:

  • the age of the minor
  • whether the person supplying the liquor is intoxicated
  • whether the minor consumes food with the liquor
  • whether the person supplying the liquor is providing supervision of the minor’s consumption of the liquor
  • the quantity and type of liquor supplied and the time period in which the liquor is supplied
  • whether the minor is intoxicated.

Party problems

Some of the typical problems that could go on at your party are:

  • Alcohol problems – especially if you’re under 18 (make sure you are up to date on the secondary supply laws)
  • Drugs
  • Gatecrashers and unwanted guests
  • Violence
  • Noise levels
  • Upsetting your neighbours
  • Breakages and mess

Tips when hosting a party

  • Have a plan about Secondary Supply in place if there will be alcohol present
  • Try to let people know about the party in a way that can be controlled – like paper invitations instead of text or Facebook.
  • Tell everyone it is an invite only party
  • Be clear about the start and finish times
  • Register your party with the police
  • Have some form of security at your party, even if its parents of the guests.
  • Stay sober – you can keep a level head and deal with any issues that come up quickly.
  • Serve food!
  • Call the police if you need to – they will be more understanding and helpful if you have registered the party with them beforehand
  • Let the neighbours know that you’re having a party and what time you’ll be turning the music down.

Useful links to learn more about Safe Partying

Australian Government Alcohol laws in Australia-secondary supply

Victoria Police-Partysafe

We recommend always registering your party with Victoria Police. You can do this on this here

Yeah Aware

Yeah Aware run Australia’s largest online and face to face engagement tool to connect young people with up to date sexual health information

Youth Central

Youth Central have great resources for young people around study and training but also include great factual information on topics young people care about including this great tip sheet about how to have a safe party

Reach Out

Fantastic tips for those wanting to enjoy a drink but not get drunk and out of control

Alcohol and Drug Foundation

ADF put together this great page for parents looking for support around guiding their children through the ‘party scene’ including making decisions around their own celebration options.


Whether you stay in Victoria, travel interstate or head overseas, Schoolies can be a great way to celebrate the end of high school and the beginning of adulthood with your friends. Many people come back with lots of fond memories they can laugh about for years to come. In order to make sure your experience is as positive as possible it is important to stay safe, look after your mates and be organised to avoid disappointment.

Check out these pages for great info, accommodation, travel options, free stuff, competitions, tips and much more!

Always remember that you can ring 000 for help at any time (or 112 if your phone is out of range). Do not hesitate to call if you or someone you know is in trouble or danger, or if you’re lost or don’t feel safe.

When you call an ambulance, you won’t necessarily have to deal with the police too – the police will only be called if someone’s safety is being threatened. If you think you need to call an ambulance – it is always better to be safe than sorry. The paramedics want to keep you safe, they don’t want to get you in trouble. Ambulance workers respect your privacy and will do what they can to assist you without contacting the police.

If you or a friend are sick but you don’t think you need an ambulance you can call Nurse on Call for advice and information for health services in your area. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in Victoria you can call 1300 60 60 24. If you are outside Victoria you can call a nurse triage service Healthdirect  1800 022 222

Remember to never leave a friend behind

If using a transport service such as Uber or Taxis make sure you take steps to keep safe. Such as double checking the rego of the Uber you are getting into. Always write down the taxi number on the card situated in front of the passenger seat when hopping into a cab (in particular if you are catching a cab by yourself) – send the number to a friend or family number so that you can be tracked down if needed. Where possible always travel with friends.

Watch your drinks. Try buying bottled drinks when out at a nightclub or bar to avoid drink spiking. Don’t forget that the most common way of spiking drinks is done using alcohol. Make sure you watch bartenders prepare your drinks to ensure you receive a standard amount of alcohol in your drink and not more

Do not forget that you have the right to say NO. Make decisions that you feel comfortable with. You are also able to change your mind at any stage. Call 000 at any time you feel unsafe

Parents, check out this great resource for tips on talking to your kids about staying safe at Schoolies.
Alcohol and Drug Foundation – Schoolies – some advice for parents

Some useful contact numbers:

Schoolies – Gold Coast

Schoolies – Bali

Schoolies – Airlie Beach

Schoolies – Byron Bay