Banyule Youth Services

Housing Information & Resources

Please note that Banyule Youth Services are a generalist youth service. We provide information and supported referrals during business hours Monday - Friday. BYS support is not suitable for acute or crisis situations.

It’s a common misconception that homelessness is associated only with sleeping on the street. This isn’t the case. In fact, there are 3 levels of homelessness that people experience every day:

  • Primary – sleeping rough on the street or having to sleep in a car.
  • Secondary – staying at a friend’s house, moving frequently between refuges or couch surfing.
  • Tertiary – unstable accommodation, such as rooming houses or caravan parks.

There are many circumstances that are out of a young person’s control, leaving them without a safe space to call their own.

If you are experiencing housing uncertainty you will need to contact an Access Point.

At the Access Point, you will meet with an Initial Assessment and Planning (IAP) worker who will do an assessment of your housing and support needs.

After this assessment, the IAP worker will address your housing crisis. IAPs have access to the Housing Establishment Fund (HEF) money which can be used to pay for emergency accommodation and sometimes rent in arrears or advance.

If appropriate, the IAP may make a referral to one of the specialist homelessness support services. Or they may make a referral to a support service in another system such as health or mental health.

Crisis Assistance – for help if you have nowhere to stay

Access Points for young people in Banyule

Haven; Home, Safe                                                                                                                          

Haven; Home, Safe is the access point for the northern and eastern suburbs of Melbourne to Mildura. They provide a range of housing services, support programs and referrals for people who are homeless or who are at risk of homelessness.

Preston Office: 52-56 Mary Street Preston, 3072
Phone: 9479 0700
Fax: 9470 4400


Frontyard (Melbourne Youth Support Service) 

Frontyard is an integrated service model that addresses the physical, emotional and social needs of people aged 12 to 24.  Located in Melbourne’s CBD, Frontyard is a central space for young people to feel safe.  Here, young people can find emergency accommodation, get quality case management from staff and access a range of co-located and visiting services.  This is a drop-in centre where no referrals are necessary.  They offer telephone based or face-to-face information and assessment for referral to specialist youth homelessness/housing support services.

Frontyard (MYSS):19 Kings Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Open Monday to Friday from 9:00am – 8:00pm and Saturday and Sunday from 10:00am – 6:00pm.
Phone: 9977 0078 (MYSS)
Phone: 9977 0077 (Frontyard)
Take a 360° virtual tour of Frontyard here: 


Statewide After Hours Service

  • Phone: 1800 825 955 (free call) or (03) 9536 7777
  • Hours: 5 pm to 9 am, Monday to Friday and 24 hours on weekends and public holiday

    Help if you are homeless or at risk of homelessness or family violence.




Reconnect supports young people who’s housing is unstable and are at risk of becoming homeless or who are homeless.  The Youth team assists young people to stabilise their living situation and improve their level of engagement with family, work, education, training and their local community. Contact the Reconnect youth team at healthAbility on 9430 9100 for further information.

Ph: 9430 9100


Justice Connect Homeless Law

Homeless Law is a project of Justice Connect. Through Homeless Law, people who are experiencing or are at risk of homelessness can access specialised free legal services.

Phone: 1800 606 313 (Free Call)


Berry Street Transitional Youth Support Services (TYSS)

Berry Street offer a range of services for young people including Homeless Intervention & Prevention (HIP) which in a response to young people aged 16-25 who are at risk of homelessness due to family breakdown. Young people can be referred to HIP by their school, a support worker or agency. Alternatively, young people can contact Berry Street directly.

Phone: 9450 4700 (Eaglemont office)   


Housing financial assistance

Ask Izzy

Ask Izzy is a website that helps people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless to find the services they need, right now and nearby.


Creating Connections Education Employment Pathways (CEEP)

Creating Connections Education Employment Pathways (CEEP) can provide brokerage funds to help young people who are experiencing homelessness, sustain their education/employment/training pathways. Generalist support workers who are providing ongoing support to young people are now able to apply to access CEEP funds. Brokerage of up to $1,200.00 per year is available for school fees, computers, books and uniforms & travel (MYKI).  Information on how to apply for CEEP funds can be accessed at: or call 9534 3685

Family Reconciliation and Mediation Program (FRMP)                                                                     

The Family Reconciliation and Mediation Program (FRMP) assist young people to improve their relationships with family and significant others through the Family Reconciliation Mediation Program (FRMP).  This state-wide service allows young people to explore options for family reconciliation, develop coping mechanisms and reconnect to culture and community.

FRMP provides funding allocation to a range of supports including; individual counselling, family mediation & therapies and respite brokerage.
Phone: 9977 0046


Housing Emergency Funds (HEF)

Funding for emergency accommodation and/or assistance to prevent accommodation being lost. HEF is able to provide rent, bond or board payment and is available through Haven; Home, Safe.

Haven; Home, Safe
Preston Office: 
52-56 Mary Street, Preston, 3072
Phone: 9479 0700

Private Rental Brokerage Program (PRBP)

The Private Rental Brokerage Program – Northern (PRBP) aims to improve access to affordable housing options for people currently living in the Northern region of Melbourne who would otherwise make use of rooming house accommodation. This program can provide advice on accessing/maintaining a private rental, advocacy on behalf of clients, and some limited brokerage to go towards rent and/or Bond. To find out if you’re eligible, contact your closest Initial Assessment and Planning office.

Haven; Home, Safe
Preston Office: 
52-56 Mary Street, Preston, 3072
Phone: 9479 0700


Bond Loan Scheme                                               
If you want to rent privately in Victoria and need assistance with the bond, you may be able to borrow the money for an interest-free bond loan.

If you want to rent privately, most landlords will ask you to pay a bond before you move in. A bond is a security deposit in case you damage the property. The bond money is held by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority. It is returned in full at the end of your lease, unless the landlord is eligible to claim for damages or unpaid rent.

The loans are for bonds only. If you need help with moving costs or for rent in advance, you may be eligible for help from the Housing Establishment Fund, see Financial help for private renters.  Application forms are available from Office of Housing website: