National Indigenous Youth Parliament
- A young Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person?
- Aged 16 to 25?
- Interested in learning about government and how laws are made?
- Passionate about issues affecting your community and your country?
Then the National Indigenous Youth Parliament is for you!
What is the National Indigenous Youth Parliament?
The National Indigenous Youth Parliament is the first of its kind in Australia. This exciting program run by the Australian Electoral Commission in partnership with the YMCA is an opportunity for 48 young Indigenous Australians to speak up and represent your community.
You will have the opportunity to speak on issues that affect your community and country, learn about how laws are made and how you can get involved and have your say.
How does it work?
In a team of six, you will be mentored through the process of writing a bill (a draft piece of legislation) on a training weekend. You will then attend a 7 day residential program in Canberra, during which you will present and debate the merits of your bill in the Chambers of Old Parliament House. There will also be plenty of social activities, guest speakers and opportunities to meet with MPs and to watch them at work in Parliament House.
Who is eligible?
Any Indigenous Australian aged 16-25. You don't have to have any special skills or experience to get involved. If you're the kind of person who wants to have a say in what's going on in your community and your country, we want you!
What's in it for you?
- The opportunity for you to have your say on issues that affect you
- Make new friends and build networks
- Access to an experienced mentor for the duration of the program
- A training weekend, including full catering and accommodation (if required)
- A 7-day residential program including full catering and accommodation
- Travel to and from Canberra
When is it?
The training weekend will be held in April 2012 - you will be advised of the dates once you have been offered a place. This will be held in your state capital with the rest of your team.
The Residential Program and National Indigenous Youth Parliament will be held in Canberra commencing 23 May 2012 and finishing on 29 May 2012.
What does it cost?
A participant fee of $200 is payable before commencement. This fee can come from sponsorship, and information and assistance will be provided on how to obtain sponsors if required.
How do I apply?
Download an application pack or call on (02) 6271 4709 for a pack to be sent out to you.
Closing date for applications is 30 March 2012